I posted an article yesterday (the post before this one AT THIS LINK) entitled "If Romney Then Conservative Christians Should Vote For Obama (Or Abstain) To Protect The Faith"
where I set out that in my opinion supporting Christianity is more important than any political consideration.
In an article at Black Christian News AT THIS LINK Mr. Alonzo Brooklyn sets out why he and many fellow Blacks will not vote for Romney.In "Hell Would Freeze Over Before Black Christians Vote For Mitt Romney" Brooklyn makes many of the points I do, which I am honored to see, and adds a number more from the Black viewpoint.
He too sees that a vote for President Obama, if it has to happen, is a Christian choice and makes the same key statement I do that having a Mormon elected president legitimises Mormonism. I commend this outstanding article to all readers.
Hell Would Freeze Over Before Black Christians Vote for Mitt Romney
"White Republicans may be smart, but are they wise? I am amazed and saddened at leaders such as Franklin Graham and Bob Jones III, who are trying to encourage Christians to support a Mormon elder for the presidency of the United States of America, saying that things would be better under Romney than Obama. So we are going to replace an incompetent devil with a lying devil? That's not going to work.
Here are some new reasons and some old reasons why black Christians will not vote for Mitt Romney:
1. A vote for Romney would be a Judas type betrayal of Christ. Rev. Romney is not only a member of the Mormon church, he is an elder who actually helps to lead a congregation.
2. Rev. Romney is a flip-flopping liar with no backbone whatsoever. Romney is a fake. He is not authentic. He is insincere. Black people can spot a fake white man who is trying to fit in in a hot second. And nothing turns them off more than this.
3. Mitt Romney's cult religion does not promote a healthy relationship between blacks and whites.
Below are some other reasons that I wrote about in a previous article titled "Note to Our Dear White Conservative Christian Brethren" that ran on November 14, 2011:
Please know that black, conservative Christian people and the 15% to 30% of Obama supporters who would like to jump ship because of their disappointment with Obama, will not "hold our noses" and vote for Mitt Romney.
The truth is, we would rather have a picnic with Perry on his controversial hunting ranch, with him forgetting the potato salad than to vote for Romney. We would rather attend a conference on how to stop sexual harassment with Cain than to vote for Romney because at least these two sinful, imperfect brothers profess to know the Lord Jesus Christ as their Saviour, and that makes all the difference. Hell would freeze over before we vote for the lying, flip-flopping Mormon cultist Mitt Romney, and we are flabbergasted as to how our conservative Christian white brethren, such as Bob Jones III and others would not only support this guy but are actually promoting this guy to other Christians to vote for him to be president of the United States.
Every election year, "conservative" political candidates court Christian voters. They ask for our time, our money, and our votes to help them get elected. Many of these candidates say they are Christians and believe in basic Christian doctrines, and, thus, it is easy for one Christian to vote for another when we share the same political and spiritual views.
However, this year, many conservative Christians are focused on making President Obama a one-term president because of their disagreements with him on social policies (abortion, homosexuality, etc.) We as black conservative Christians are a part of that tribe. So far, according to the most recent polls, it looks like Mitt Romney, the former governor of Massachusetts, has the best chance of doing that. There's only one problem -- he is a part of the Mormon cult.
Personally, I do not believe a Christian has any business voting for a Mormon to be president of the United States. America has always had presidents who claim to at least believe in the God of true Christianity who is the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. If the question is, "is a Mormon a Christian?" The answer is no. A Mormon is not a Christian because Mormonism denies essential Christian doctrines. In fact, Mormonism is a cult. Here are eight reasons why:
1. Mormons do not believe that the Bible is the truly inspired Word of God. Mormons believe that the Bible has been corrupted and they look to three other books for guidance: The Book of Mormons, The Doctrine and Covenants, and The Pearl of the Great Price.
2. Mormons believe that God "has not always been the Supreme Being of the universe, but attained that status through righteous living and persistent effort." They also believe that God has flesh and bones like man and that he is still gaining knowledge -- he is not all-knowing. Brigham Young, the Mormon leader who led the Latter Day Saints to migrate to Utah actually believed that Adam was God and the father of Jesus Christ. This is blasphemy.
3. Mormons do not believe in the Virgin Birth. Instead, they say that Jesus Christ was born because of a physical relationship between God and Mary. This is blasphemy.
4. Mormons believe that Jesus Christ is a god, but that any human can also become a god. Futhermore, Mormons also believe that Jesus and Satan are "spirit brothers". This is double blasphemy.
5. Mormons believe that God has many wives, and that Jesus Christ and Satan are two of his "spirit children." This is triple blasphemy.
6. Mormons participate in baptism for the dead. Living Mormons can be "baptized" and "make a public profession of faith" for someone who has already died.
7. Mormons do not believe that salvation can be obtained only by faith through Jesus Christ. They believe that you must do good works to attain a place in the "celestial realm" -- Heaven.
8. Mormons believe that blacks were descendants of Cain, and the mark that God placed on Cain was dark skin. Up until 1978, Blacks were prevented from being in the priesthood and receiving the "blessings of the temple" and they could not qualify for celestial exaltation (the highest realm of heaven). Brigham Young taught a much greater extreme. In a sermon given on March 8, 1863, Young stated, "Shall I tell you the law of God in regard to the African race? If the white man who belongs to the chosen seed mixes his blood with the seed of Cain, the penalty, under the law of God, is death on the spot. This will always be so" (Journal of Discourses, 10:110). The third Latter Day Saints President, John Taylor also said that blacks were the devil's representatives on earth.
Not only is this blasphemous, satanic doctrine, a man would have to be borderline insane to believe just one point of the last eight points I just mentioned. This disqualifies him from being the president of the Dog Catcher's Association, much less the president of the United States of America.
(You can read more details on any of these topics at GotQuestions.org and the Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry)
5 Reasons Why We As Christians Cannot Vote for Mitt Romney:
1. Romney has flip-flopped on homosexual marriage.
2. Romney has flip-flopped on abortion.
3. Romney has flip-flopped on the government controlling healthcare.
4. Romney has flip-flopped on the adoption of children by homosexuals.
5. Romney has flip-flopped on protecting the Defense of Marriage Act.
Romney is a flip-flopping machine and we all know that you cannot call yourself a Christian when you lie and change your position for convenience sake.
Mitt Romney has flip-flopped on these important issues thinking that changing his positions for different groups is going to help him win. These social issues are very important to us as Christians and it is in our best interest not to put someone in the White House who clearly does not hold to our values. (You can read more details on any of these topics at World Net Daily.)
As a Christian, I know that God leads, guides, and directs nations and leaders who look to Him for help. The Bible says in Daniel 2:20-21, "...Blessed be the name of God for ever and ever: for wisdom and might are his: And he changeth the times and the seasons: he removeth kings, and setteth up kings: he giveth wisdom unto the wise, and knowledge to them that know understanding." God will give wisdom to any leader who is wise enough to look to Him. And the one thing we need the most right now amidst the turmoil in our country and the world is the help that only God can provide.
Frankly, my friend, if Mitt Romney were elected, I would feel very uncomfortable with him in the White House, simply because I would not know who he was praying to if he prayed at all. He certainly, would not be praying to the same God I pray to. And the last thing our country needs is a president who does not have the sense to pray to the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, in the name of Jesus Christ.
Furthermore, others have stated that if Mitt Romney were elected as president, the Mormon religion would be given a sense of legitimacy in America -- it would put the Church of Latter Day Saints in a good light. Mormon missionaries would be eager to use this opportunity to make Mormonism a main-stream denomination.
While I disagree with President Obama on many issues, especially his pushing of the homosexual agenda, at least he professes to be a brother in Christ, and he says he prays everyday. God can work on President Obama's heart and lead him to change his views on social issues to line up with the Scriptures with everyone's prayers including the prayers of Bob Jones III. We are disappointed that Bob Jones III would judge President Obama's salvation when his grandfather, Bob Jones Sr., said many years ago, "A Christian is a person who, knowing he cannot save himself, relies upon Jesus Christ and His atoning blood for salvation."
If Mitt Romney turns out to be the Republican nominee for president, we may just have to "hold our noses" and refuse to vote for anybody and accept the fact that this country has turned its back on the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob - the God who made this country the most blessed and prosperous country in the history of the world. And watch for its sure destruction, for Romney or Obama would lead our country to total destruction."
Alonzo Brooklyn is a full-time writer and commentator. His weekly column can be read at www.BlackChristianNews.com as well as http://AlonzoBrooklyn.Wordpress.com. You may e-mail him at: email@example.com.