When it comes to profit margins, those dirty rotten oil companies come in at 8 percent profit (on average) against 30 percent for Green Tech companies and 16 to 20 percent averages for Big Pharma. Google ran 21% profit; Apple 21%; and the hated insurance industry came in dead last with around a 4 percent average profit margin.
Let's recap: the insurance demons - 4%; Obama's Big Pharma buds at 30%;
the much hated Big Oil - 8% ; Obama's Green tech industry - 30%.
Bank of America showed a minus profit; Freddie Mac posted a 14.1% profit.
- Amgen (biotechnology): Profit margin, 30.6 percent
- Google: 20.6 profit margin (24 percent - CNN Money)
- Apple: 21.5 percent
- Microsoft: 24.9 percent (CNN reports 30.0 percent margin)
- Bank of America: minus 1.7%
- Fannie Mae: 9.1 percent
- Freddie Mac: minus 14.1 percent (biggest loser)
- Exxon Mobil: 8.6 percent
- Chevron: 9.7 percent
- ConocoPhillips (oil/gas): 6;1 percent
- GE: 7.7 percent profit to revenues
- The beverage industry: 25.9 percent.
- News Corp (Rupert Murdock): 7.7 percent
- GM: 4.6 percent
- Chrysler: minus 1.6 percent (sold to Fiat at a 1.5b loss to taxpayers)
- Ford: 5.1 percent (142 % from 2009 - CNN Money)
- Gilead Sciences (biotechnology): 37.6 percent
- Celgene Corp. (biotechnology): 11.9 percent
- Johnson & Johnson (drug manufacturer): 20.8 percent (21.1 CNN)
- Pfizer (drug manufacturer): 16.3 percent
- Bristol-Myers Squibb: 15.9
- Eli Lilly (drug manufacturing) : 22.0
- Proter & Gamble: 16.0 percent
- Pfizer (drug manufacturer): 12.2
- WalMart: 3.9 percent
- Home Depot: 4.9 percent
- GlaxoSmithKline (drug manufacturer): 17.4 percent
- Unitedhealth Group (healthcare plans): 4.1 percent
- WellPoint (healthcare plans): 4 percent
- Aetna (healthcare plans): 3.9 percent
- MedcoHealth Solutions (healthcare services): 2.1 percent
- Express Scripts (healthcare services): 3.7 percent
- Quest Diagnostics (healthcare services): 8.7 percent
- Medtronic (medical equipment): 14.9 percent
- Baxter International (medical equipment): 17.5 percent
- Covidien (medical equipment): 12.3 percent
End notes: list compiled by J Smithson using the following sources. I spent most of my time at the CNN/Fortune 500 site, however.